We’ve had some confusion both internally and externally with some customers with the installation of the RES IT Store Web Portal. During the installation you will be prompted as to how you would like the IIS website to be configured:
This dialog is a little bit unclear as to what it is actually asking you. If you follow these simple guidelines, I’m sure you’ll be a whole lot clearer as to what is going on:
- The RES IT Store Web Portal setup will create a new website – no ifs, buts or maybes.
- It will not install to the default IIS website.
- If you select the “Yes” option, the new website will be bound to port TCP port 80:
- The existing default IIS website will also be bound to port 80 and therefore only one will start.
- You will need to manually change the IIS default website port bindings.
- If you select the “No” option, the new website can be bound to a specific TCP port:
- Be careful as it will default to TCP port 80 but you can manually alter it.
- The wizard will bind the Hostname specified to the new website as an IIS Host Header Name.
Our recommendation is to always select “No”, leave the default port binding and configure the host header value with your load-balanced fully qualified DNS alias, i.e. itstore.virtualengine.co.uk.